Firefighters deal with seven cooking fires in one weekend
Date published: 13 March 2012
Firefighters around Greater Manchester dealt with seven cooking fires in one weekend.
During Saturday and Sunday, March 11 and 12, crews went out to kitchen fires in Stockport, Openshaw, Abbey Hey, Ashton (Tameside), Rochdale, Cheetham Hill and Heaton Norris.
Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service is advising residents to take extra when cooking and urging them to protect their homes with a Home Safety Check as a result of the incidents.
Councillor David Acton, Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Authority Chairman, said: "Thankfully, no one was seriously injured as a result of any of these fires during the weekend but we should not underestimate the impact these fires and the subsequent damage will have on all of the people involved in them.
"Serious fires can start when you are distracted, even for a few seconds, but you should never leave cooking unattended even to answer the phone or the door.
"When cooking fried food, dry it before you put it in the hot oil. If the oil starts to smoke, turn off the heat and leave the pan to cool. Never fill the pan more than one-third full of oil and never throw water over the pan."
For a free Home Fire Safety Check, which may include the fitting of smoke alarms, please contact GMFRS on 0800 555 815 or visit http://www.manchesterfire.gov.uk/fire_safety_advice/home_fire_risk_assessments.aspx
Have Your Say